Friday 22 May 2020

Photo Description

Created: 22.05.2020

Photo Description (1,5 min)


Look at the pictures carefully and decide which one to describe. Pick the one that suits you better, where you will know what to talk about. Don't panic if you don't know the words for all the things in the picture. You can find the most important things in a dictionary, but you don't need to know the exact words for everything.
          The description should have a logical structure. You can follow the structure given in the instructions, but you don't have to. Don't jump randomly from one thing to another when describing. Start with a general description of the scene and then get into the details. Focus on the most important things in the picture.
          Create a story for the picture, talk about what happened before and what will happen after. You can finish the description with the general impression of the picture and the emotions connected to it. You can speculate about the picture and offer a personal comment. You can also speculate on why the picture was taken and how it will be used.
          When talking about details, mention interesting things. Use a lot of adjectives and adverbs to show a wide vocabulary. Don't waste time on describing simple things that won't earn you any points. Try to speak in longer sentences, give explanations and examples.
          Remember to use present tenses in the description. When describing what is and isn't in the picture, use present simple. When describing what is happening in the picture, use present continuous.
       

Useful Phrases


Introduction and General Description
In the picture, I can see... / There are...
The picture shows... / The photo shows...
It looks like a... / I think it is a... / I don't think that ...

Placement
In the centre, there is...
There are ... in the background. / ... in the foreground.
I can see some ... in the distance.
There is a ... on the left. / ... on the right.
... at the top. / ... at the bottom.
In the top left corner... / In the bottom right corner...

People and Activities
The man is facing the car.
The girl is looking at the sky.
He is sitting on the grass. / She is standing by the tent. / They are lying on the bed.
It seems as if they are looking... / It looks as if the people in the background are waiting...
She seems to be resting.
They look quite young.
The man wearing a yellow T-shirt is... / The woman in purple leggings seems to be watching... / The girt with a ponytail... / The boy who is holding a...

Speculating and Creating a Story
She is probably feeling relaxed.
I expect they are feeling anxious..., but maybe a bit excited.
Judging by her expression, I would say she is having a great time.
To me, they look as if they are feeling nervous.
I suppose that they will do some sightseeing while they are there.
There are a number of reasons why I believe this. First, ...
The reason I say that is ...
The main reason I feel this way is ...
I believe that the people are...
I suppose it's true to say that... / I'm not sure, really. Maybe...
It's most likely in the evening.
They are dancing or exercising or something like that.
She is the instructor, I would say. / I wold say that she is tired.
I can't be sure, but I would say that...
It could be that this girl is... / It is hard to say, but I think...
I am pretty certain that this man ...
It's clear that...
I guess...
Perhaps they are...

Personal Comment
To be honest, I wold never try abseiling.
For me, this activity seems quite boring.
I tried kayaking a while ago and I had the same experience.
In fact, this seems like a perfect example of...
As a matter of fact, It happened to me too.
In my opinion, this is a very nice magazine cover. / I imagine that this photo was taken for an advertisement.
As I see it, the photographer is an experienced professional, because...
In my view, the people in the picture...

Example


Geography

PART TWO
Task One


Look at pictures 2A and 2B on the separate handout. Choose one of the pictures and describe it. The following ideas may help you:

➧ place (continent, country, culture)
➧ people (age, gender, clothes)
➧ activities
➧ things
➧ atmosphere
➧ other


          INTRO:    In the picture, I can see a young Asian girl holding a sickle. She is standing is a field of rice, maybe.
          PLACE:    The picture was probably taken in Asia, she could be from China. I think it is a warm summer late afternoon, because the field and the grass in the foreground are very green. The field seems huge and there is a forest in the background, so I believe they are in the countryside. I can't be sure, but I would say that it rained in the morning, because she is wearing rubber boots.
          PEOPLE:    The girl is maybe in her late 20s and wearing casual clothes. I don't think she works there, she doesn't look tired at all. She is probably a model posing for an advertisement.
          ACTIVITIES and THINGS:    She is holding a straw in her hand. She is pretending to want to cut it with the sickle, but I don't think she will. It is a hard job and she probably doesn't even know how to do it properly.
          ATMOSPHERE:    The atmosphere is relaxed. Judging by her expression, she is having fun. The sun is most likely quite low, because it makes her hair look golden brown.
          OTHER: The photographer did a great job with this lighting, the colours are bright and fresh. It's clear that they are both professionals, because the situation is actually quite silly, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment